Saturday, February 5, 2011

another block

I have not posted in quite a time. Holidays and headaches can really make for some bad times for me.

I am going through rounds of blocks in hope of riding myself of all headaches. The blocks that were done in the first 2 rounds have been helpful. Now, I am feeling the headaches at the front of my head. Those have always been there, just not as bad as the headaches that I would feel at the base of my skull and down my neck. The blocks there are working for now. I wont be picky. There is intermittent pain back there, just nothing like it was before. NOw...on to this week

They describe it as ticks and fleas at the pain clinic. First, you get rid of fleas, then you have to get rid of the ticks. So, I guess we are fine tuning the pain now. The headache pain upfront has almost gotten unbearable. They have kept me almost constantly bedridden. So, we tried a new approach. They have stopped working across my neck and the base of my brain. The doc did a new to me block for the front a couple of days ago. I made the ultimate mistake and watched this procedure on YouTube. First of all, the video looked like it was made in like 1987. His block was done through the nose. gag!!! I was so scare going in, that I called and had nurse talk me through it in detail. It was performed by going in right in front of my left ear. They started with the left side, because it is the area of most pain.The block that was given is called sphenopalatine ganglion block.I am finding it hard to find good info about in on the web. Presently, I don't have any headache pain,, but it could be masked by the pain at the injection site.

Wish me luck, I have at least 2 more on the left side and then how many they decide for the right. My face swelling on the left side kinda makes me look like a confused squirrel storing muts only in one cheek! Let's just hope this works.

hoping to be painfree- Angie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie! I found you over at Heather's place (I think)- anyway, I just wanted to let you know I just returned from my second round of nerve blocks in the sub occipital area. It was much easier the second time around, knowing what to expect.

    I like the image of ticks and fleas - so true. It has been a week and I think the ticks have gone elsewhere, I am feeling quite good !

    ReplyDelete